Re: Simple USB/Linux question

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 01:37:30AM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Whenever I plug a flashdrive into a Windows box, the icon shows the
> drive's label, if it has one, but in Linux it always shows the brand
> name, or OEM name.  Sometimes this is inconvenient, especially when you
> have more than one drive.  Is there a way to force Linux to use the label?

The 'icon' you see is being generated by your window manager.  It's
probably pulling the information directly from the device, or via udev.

You'll have to ask the window manager people about how to change that
behavior.  The kernel drivers make all the data available to the window
manager, and it decides how to show the device.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What, are you one of those Microsoft-bashing Linux freaks?
					-- Customer to Greg
User Friendly, 2/10/1999