Re: USB-PD protocol

Hi James,

On Sat, Jun 01, 2024 at 10:36:13PM +0100, James Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to capture the USB-PD protocol messages on the CC
> pins of a usb connection?
>
> I can use "modprobe usbmod" to capture the URB messages.
> Is there any way to capture the CC pin messages using in negotiation
> power USB-PD.

Unfortunately there is no way to capture the USB PD messages. The
operating system is not in control of the USB PD communcation in most
cases. Instead, there is a dedicate component called PD controller
that handles the communnication. The PD controllers often only give
some status information about connections and limited control over the
connectors.

> I guess is association with this, some way of also capturing the
> Volts/Current on the Vconn and Vbus pins.

The information that we can read from the PD controllers is exposed to
the user space using the USB Type-C connector device class and USB
Power Delivery device class. You should see the PDO details under
/sys/class/usb_power_devivery if they are available.

The connectors, and the partner devices attached to them, are exposed
under /sys/class/typec

> If it helps, my cpu is an AMD 7840, so it will be using whatever USB
> hubs come with that.

Br,

--
heikki