BUG: new USB3 devices not detected after unplugging dock

Hardware: Razer Blade 15 2018 Base, HP G5 USB-C dock
Kernel: all tested including 6.8.0-rc7

The HP G5 dock uses Alt Mode for external monitors. Booting the kernel
with dock connected and then unplugging and replugging the dock
results in the monitors and USB3 devices no longer being detected
(some USB2 devices are still detected). By not detected, I mean that
the kernel log does not show anything at all when the device is
plugged into the USB-C port. This is not a problem with the dock - a
USB-C NVME drive was plugged in and also not detected, and neither was
the dock after being power cycled. I have narrowed this problem down
to the usb3 and usb4 bus devices being automatically suspended after
the dock is unplugged:

/sys/bus/usb/devices# cat usb[34]/power/runtime_status
suspended
suspended
/sys/bus/usb/devices# cat usb[34]/power/control
auto
auto

If I plug the dock (or NVME drive) in and then force either of these
bus devices on (echo on > usb3/power/control), then the port wakes up,
and the dock and displays plugged into it are detected.

This problem seems to be related to the external monitors connected to
the dock - with a single display connected, it happens rarely, but
with two displays it happens every time the dock is unplugged. If the
kernel is booted with "usbcore.autosuspend=-1" then the problem never
occurs.