Re: I/O errors while writing to external Transcend XS-2000 4TB SSD

Alan Stern - 15.02.24, 16:19:54 CET:
> > First I will have a look on how to see what USB power management
> > options may be in place and how to tell Linux to keep the USB port
> > the SSD is connected to at all times.
> >
> > Let's see how this story unfolds. At least I am in no hurry about it.
>
> This may not be an issue of power management but rather one of
> insufficient power.  A laptop may not provide enough power through its
> USB ports for the Transcend SSD to work properly under load.
>
> You can test this by connecting a powered UBS-3 hub between the laptop
> and the drive.

Interesting idea. Maybe the Transcend XS-2000 4TB needs more power than
the Sandisk Extreme Pro 2TB.

Not sure whether I have one at hand with USB-C here, cause my regular USB
hub only has USB-A connectors. Need to look for one with enough USB-A and
USB-C connectors as I use an USB hub as replacement for a docking station.
But I do have at least optionally powered hub with USB-C one at another
place. It does not have many ports. But for the task ahead one USB-C port
is sufficient.

I will try this as well. Thanks.

Best,
--