Re: Booting from g_file_storage in cdrom mode

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Andreas Kemnade wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:39:58 -0500 (EST)
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Originally I wrote the cdrom additions using a 2048-byte block size.
> > This turned out to be quite messy, and when I realized that the SCSI
> > spec allows a CD drive to use 512-byte blocks I gladly removed all the
> > support for larger sectors.
> What worth has a standard if so many people do not care?
> It is messy because constants are spread all over the code. My patch
> does not make that better. I do not see a reason why not at least put the
> 512, 9  and all calculated 2048/512=4 into constants (which should not
> increase runtime)

They already are constants.  And the runtime doesn't matter, it's just
a question of making the code more awkward.

> or variables (to be set according to the cdrom parameter).

That's what I did originally.

>  That would prevent a lot of mess.
> Before I start cleaning up, I would like to hear an opinion on this.

Maybe inline routines for conversion between byte offsets and block
numbers would help.

> If every BIOS would boot from every usb stick I would not care about the block
> size problem. I can put a file_gadget into my pocket but not a cdrom drive.
> So to me booting from CDs is very useful.
> >
> > > I cleaned up the patch especially the sector size stuff and with that patch
> > > I have installed ubuntu from a g_file_storage_gadget in cdrom mode successfully.
> >
> > Of course you didn't bother to change do_write() and a bunch of other
> > places.  Doing it properly means reintroducing all that mess, which I'm
> > not anxious to do.
>
> Even wodim dev=/dev/scdX -toc fails, so if you want to have cd write support,
> there seems to be still a lot to do.

I was thinking more along the lines of DVD-RAM, which doesn't need
wodim.  g_file_storage doesn't have true CD write support -- and it
never will, since it doesn't allow audio tracks (or more than one track
for that matter) or subchannels or any of the other fancy stuff.

Alan Stern