Re: "SilverStone TS16" external SSD enclosing needs an UAS quirk

Lars Melin wrote:
> 0bda:9210 is a Realtek USB 3 to pcie chip used by umpteen
> enclosure manufacturers.

SilverStone TS16 is not the only one that makes problems. There's also
  - Sabrent NVMe M.2 enclosure (Model EC-SNVE) [1]
  - UnionSine Dual Protocol M2 NVMe to USB 3.1 [2]

> I have got one from Orico and it works ok under both linux and MSWin but
> it can be a bit finicky if it doesn't get enough power, it may for
> instance work well with an earlier (slower) type of NVME SSD but not
> with a later faster type unless you provide external power to it (usb
> hub + power adapter).

So, the Orico one has problems as well. Do these problems disappear when,
instead of changing the way it's connected to the computer, you add this
quirk?

> Slowing down all RTL9120 already in the market with this quirk is in my
> humble opinion not a realistic solutio.

What else do you propose, for those of us who buy this hardware (€ 50,
it wasn't a cheap one), connect it directly to a computer (through the
vendor-provided cable, to an USB-C 3.2 Gen.2 connector, as in my case),
and then experience 1-2 crashes per day under Linux?

Bruno

[1] https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2466059
[2] https://forum.level1techs.com/t/nvme-to-usb-3-1-enclosure-buggy-in-linux-rtl9210b-chipset/199752