Re: broken ftdi_sio communication on MIPSEL router, various 2.6.3x.x kernels (usbmon logs etc.)

I managed to progress by a small but important step:
lsusb -v of my FTDI device works nicely without timeouts,
_as long as_ the ftdi_sio driver hasn't had a chance yet to interfere
since a fresh reboot of the box (and simply loading ftdi_sio suffices
to break it, no need to do any fiddling on the userspace side).
IOW, something ftdi_sio does is f..king up my device (or the USB controller??)
so much that it's not even responding to standard descriptor listing any more.
And - another important fact - it's isolated to the FTDI device and
this device _only_, other devices are NOT affected by timeout issues.
thus it points towards isolated ftdi_sio issues and not generic
USB host controller failure.

And since the very first thing in the dmesg log that throws errors
is exactly the latency configuration attempt, I'll now patch that away
and retry.
If that actually manages to fix it, then there's still the question of
why the device remains wedged after the broken latency setting.
Maybe something the HC driver does is not enough or broken, maybe
it simply cannot recover an individual broken device properly?
But maybe the 8U232AM chip is simply so locked up after a bogus
latency command that nothing would help anyway...

But OTOH there's no issue at all on my netbook, despite the useless
latency setting attempts... food for thought.

Oh, and what the HELL is error -145 as displayed by

usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio: v1.5.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
usb 2-1.1.4: lsusb timed out on ep0in len=0/255
usb 2-1.1.4: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd lsusb rqt 128 rq 6 len
255 ret -145
usb 2-1.1.4: lsusb timed out on ep0in len=8/255

and lsusb -v:

cannot read device status, Connection timed out (145)

I cannot find this value in any /usr/include/asm-generic errno
headers... --> uninitialized error return, or USB-specific code??
(OTOH I cannot find it in linux/include/ and usb directories either!!)

Thanks,

Andreas Mohr