Re: Test USB Type-C port?

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 12:30:34AM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> To test a USB Type-C port for conformance to the specification, is it
> possible to connect two Linux devices using a USB Type-C cable, and run some
> programs on each?US
>
> (I started using a Dell XPS 13 9360 from 2016, and sometimes experience
> troubles with USB Type-C adapters/port replicators and want to verify that
> the USB Type-C port works according to the specification.)

Unfortunatly USB Type-C is handled in firmware on those computers. We
can only query the status of some basic things using an interface
called UCSI, but most details are completely hidden from the
operatings system.

There have been a lot of problems with the UCSI interface on older XPS
13 and Latitude systems. Some of those problems have a workaround in
the driver, but not everything.

Br,

--
heikki