Re: 0bda:b812 USB "3.0" WLAN devices only report a maximum of 480 Mbps

On Sun, Nov 05, 2023 at 09:06:16PM +0100, Fabian Melzow wrote:
> Am Sun, 5 Nov 2023 14:16:18 -0500
> schrieb Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Have you tried plugging the device into a system running a different
> > OS (Windows or MacOS-X)?  Or even a different Linux system?
>
> Yes, I also made a short test with the lsusb of an old Debian 11
> Live-DVD. I got these devices for testing from the Amazon Vine program
> and after the third Monday-Hardware WLAN-device with the same problem I
> thought I should report this problem, to maybe help real users.

A test with Windows might be more informative, if you can manage to do
one.  Perhaps the Windows driver knows how to configure the device to
run at higher speed.

Also, curiously enough, when I did a web search for reports of problems
with this chip, the vast majority of messages were about it not working
with Linux at all because Debian/Ubuntu did not include sufficiently
up-to-date drivers.  People had to download driver source code from a
github project and build and install it for themselves in order to get
the device to function.  They didn't mention what speed it used on the
USB bus.

Alan Stern