Re: JMS583Gen2 USB PCIe adapter with trim support?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 09:59:27AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> according to https://www.jmicron.com/file/download/1002/JMS583_Product+Brief.pdf
> my USB-C M.2 adapter "JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS583Gen 2 to PCIe Gen3x2 Bridge"
> is supposed to support trim, but sg_vpd reports

Note: sg_vpd is a SCSI-reporting program, not a USB-reporting program,
and you are asking it to report the contents of the block page.

> {root@cecil:data10 () 506} sg_vpd -p bl /dev/sdd
> Block limits VPD page (SBC):
>   Write same non-zero (WSNZ): 0
>   Maximum compare and write length: 0 blocks [Command not implemented]
>   Optimal transfer length granularity: 8 blocks
>   Maximum transfer length: 65535 blocks
>   Optimal transfer length: 65535 blocks
>   Maximum prefetch transfer length: 65535 blocks
>   Maximum unmap LBA count: -1 [unbounded]
>   Maximum unmap block descriptor count: 63
>   Optimal unmap granularity: 0 blocks [not reported]
>   Unmap granularity alignment valid: false
>   Unmap granularity alignment: 0 [invalid]
>   Maximum write same length: 0 blocks [not reported]
>   Maximum atomic transfer length: 0 blocks [not reported]
>   Atomic alignment: 0 [unaligned atomic writes permitted]
>   Atomic transfer length granularity: 0 [no granularity requirement
>   Maximum atomic transfer length with atomic boundary: 0 blocks [not reported]
>   Maximum atomic boundary size: 0 blocks [can only write atomic 1 block]
>
> {root@cecil:data10 () 507} sg_vpd -p lbpv /dev/sdd
> Logical block provisioning VPD page (SBC):
>   Unmap command supported (LBPU): 1
>   Write same (16) with unmap bit supported (LBPWS): 0
>   Write same (10) with unmap bit supported (LBPWS10): 0
>   Logical block provisioning read zeros (LBPRZ): 0
>   Anchored LBAs supported (ANC_SUP): 0
>   Threshold exponent: 0 [threshold sets not supported]
>   Descriptor present (DP): 0
>   Minimum percentage: 0 [not reported]
>   Provisioning type: 0 (not known or fully provisioned)
>   Threshold percentage: 0 [percentages not supported]
>
> {root@cecil:data10 () 508} lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 152d:0583 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS583Gen 2 to PCIe Gen3x2 Bridge
> :
>

> You can surely better estimate than me whether these values sound
> reasonable. Do they? I hesitate to set provisioning_mode to unmap.
>
> Device is an ICY BOX M.2 SSD/NVMe adaptor IB-1807MT-C31.

Given that virtually all the information you have provided refers to the
SCSI or block device interface rather than the USB device interface, it
seems you would be a lot better off posting this question to a SCSI- or
block-related mailing list.

About all I can say with regard to your question is that the bridge
probably supports trim commands if the drive connected to it does.

Alan Stern