Re: device present in lsusb, disappears in lsusb -t

On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 11:30:39AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 10:49:10PM -0400, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> > The code in lsusb-t.c seems to assign a special meaning to "-1" devices
> > and there is only one of those: "5-1". And the device associated with
> > "5-1" is the one that does _not_ appear in the output of 'lsusb -t' but
> > does appear in the output of 'lsusb'.
>
> The code patch of the '-t' option in lsusb is totally separate and apart
> from the "normal" portion of lsusb, as you note, it is a separate .c
> file as well.  -t uses the sysfs representation of the USB devices,
> while the other code path uses the 'libusb' representation of the USB
> devices.  And those seem to differ here (as they do for everyone.)
>
> So if someone wants to take the time to figure out which representation
> is "more correct", that would be great.  I don't have the bandwidth to
> do so for the next few weeks due to travel requirements on my end,
> sorry.

Doug, I've looked through the source code in lsusb-t.c (usbutils 015)
and I didn't notice any place where it treats device names containing
"-1" specially.  Can you point it out?

Also, if I suggested some debugging additions to the source file, would
you be able to build them and test the result?

Alan Stern