Re: RFC: usb: gadget: u_audio: Notifying gadget that host started playback/capture?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023, at 3:09 AM, Pavel Hofman wrote:
> Dne 21. 09. 23 v 3:30 Arun Raghavan napsal(a):
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021, at 8:38 AM, Pavel Hofman wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I drafted a simple patch for u_audio.c which defines read-only boolean
>>> ctl elems "Capture Requested" and "Playback Requested". Their values are
>>> set/reset in methods u_audio_start_capture/playback and
>>> u_audio_stop_capture/playback, i.e. at changes of respective altsettings
>>> from 0 to 1 and back. Every ctl elem value change sends notification via
>>> snd_ctl_notify. The principle works OK for capture/playback start/stop
>>> on the host, as monitored by alsactl:
>>>
>>> pi@raspberrypi:~ $ alsactl monitor hw:UAC2Gadget
>>> node hw:UAC2Gadget, #4 (3,0,0,Capture Requested,0) VALUE
>>> node hw:UAC2Gadget, #4 (3,0,0,Capture Requested,0) VALUE
>>> node hw:UAC2Gadget, #3 (3,0,0,Playback Requested,0) VALUE
>>> node hw:UAC2Gadget, #3 (3,0,0,Playback Requested,0) VALUE
>>>
>>> However at enumeration the USB host switches both playback and capture
>>> altsettings repeatedly, generating "fake" events from the gadget side
>>> POW. The host even sends regular-sized EP-OUT packets filled with zeros
>>> during enumeration (tested on linux only for now).
>>>
>>> Please is there any way to "detect" the enumeration stage to mask out
>>> the "fake" playback/capture start/stop events?
>>>
>>> The attached patch does not apply cleanly to mainline u_audio.c because
>>> it's rebased on other patches not submitted yet but it's only a
>>> discussion inducer for now.
>>
>> Resurrecting this one -- is there any input on how we want to deal wit letting UAC gadgets know when the host is sending/receiving data?
>
> The current version uses the Playback/Capture Rate alsa ctls with
> notifications
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220121155308.48794-8-pavel.hofman@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Example of handling is e.g. https://github.com/pavhofman/gaudio_ctl ,
> the controller is being used in a number of projects, mostly DIY.
>
> Recently Qualcomm devs have submitted patches for alternative approach
> using uevents
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2023050801-handshake-refusing-0367@gregkh/T/#mcd6b346f3ddab6ab34792be0141633bb362d168f
> and later versions. The detection is identical, monitoring change in
> altsetting from 0 to non zero and back (methods
> u_audio_[start/stop]_[capture/playback]), just a different means of
> communicating the events to userspace.
>
> Both methods (using the same principle) suffer from not knowing what's
> going on the host side and cannot differentiate between player really
> starting playback vs. UAC2 host driver or Pulseaudio shortly checking
> device availability. That's why the gaudio_ctl controller can debounce
> the playback/capture start
> https://github.com/pavhofman/gaudio_ctl#debouncing . But that is just an
> ugly workaround...

Thank you for the links, Pavel! This all makes sense.

I guess the uevent mechanism is more "general" than the ALSA ctl for clients that want to plug in, listen and do $something. Not sure if there are other pros/cons of either approach.

I wonder if it might not be good to have some debouncing in the kernel rather than having every client have to implement this.

Cheers,
Arun