Re: BisonCam 5986:0203 kills USB

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 04:13:41 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > Please see the dmesgs of the 500 - 900 us runs in the attached
> > > archive. The 900 us have been tested with more than 80 modprobe /
> > > rmmod rounds, with 1.0 s and 0.5 s delay.
> >
> > So the delay should be set to 1000 us, to include a margin of safety.
> > That's a long time to delay, but it's the easiest solution.
>
> That would be fine with me. Are there any adverse effects one should
> watch out for?

Well, you wouldn't want this to kick in if you were running a very busy
server, or if you wanted to guarantee low latency or use a realtime
(RT) kernel.  None of these is likely to crop up with a netbook.  :-)

> > > I am curious, if I understand correctly that this is a chipset issue?
> > > If so, why has it not been triggered with other USB devices?
> >
> > So the answer is that with other USB devices, either the driver doesn't
> > start up a periodic transfer when the device file is opened, or else
> > programs opening the device file keep it open for longer than 900 us.
>
> Thanks for clarifying!
>
> Is there anything left for me todo at the moment?

Just verify that Oliver's patch is okay, and let other people
experiencing this problem know where to find it.

Alan Sternn