Re: USB: DMA: mapping existing buffer is not supported?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 10:32:12PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 04:09:06AM +0800, Randy Li wrote:

> > > What do you mean by "not available"?  I see them in the tree today, why
> > > do you think they are not present?
> > >
> > usb_buffer_dmasync_sg(), usb_buffer_map(), usb_buffer_dmasync() and usb_buffer_unmap() are all disabled
> > by #if 0 in include/usb/usb.h
> >
> > usb_buffer_map_sg() and usb_buffer_unmap_sg() are just declaration without definition.
>
> Sorry, I was looking at the usb_sg_* calls, those are there if you want
> to use them.
>
> But again, why not just use the normal sg field in the urb itself for
> the scatter-gather pointer?  Will that not work for you?

> > > I don't understand, what is wrong with the information there exactly?
> > > Have you tried following the suggestions there?
> > Besides my answer to first question, I found no code use them today.

That's exactly what it says at the end of the file:

Note that several of those interfaces are currently commented out, since
they don't have current users.  See the source code.  Other than the dmasync
calls (where the underlying DMA primitives have changed), most of them can
easily be commented back in if you want to use them.

So Randy, the answer to your question is that those routines are not
available any more because nothing needs to use them.  If you would like
to submit a patch removing the "Working with existing buffers" section
from the documentation file, feel free to do so.

Alan Stern