Re: DWC3-Gadget: Flickering with ISOC Streaming (UVC) while multiplier set on Superspeed

Hi

On Wed, Sep 06, 2023 at 12:41:58AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
On Mon, Sep 04, 2023, Michael Grzeschik wrote:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 01:35:16AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2023, Michael Grzeschik wrote:
> > I just stumbled over a similar issue we already solved for the High
> > Speed Case when streaming ISOC packages and using a multiplier higher
> > then one. Last time we saw some bad frame artefacts when using the
> > higher multiplier value. The Frames were distorted due to truncated
> > transfers.
> >
> > Since the last case we have patch
> >
> > 8affe37c525d ("usb: dwc3: gadget: fix high speed multiplier setting")
> >
> > that fixes the calculation of the mult PCM1 parameter when using high
> > speed transfers. After that no truncations were reported again.
> >
> > However I came across a similar issue which is just a little less easy
> > to trigger and only occurs with Superspeed. Now, while the memory
> > bandwidth of the machine runs on higher load, the UVC frames are
> > similarly distorted when we use a multiplier higher then one.
> >
> > I looked over the implications the multiplier has on the Superspeed case
> > in the dwc3 gadget driver, but could only find some TXFIFO adjustments
> > and no other extra bits e.g. in the transfer descriptors. Do you have
> > some pointers how the multiplier parameter of the endpoint is used in
> > hardware?
> >

> As you already know, PCM1 is only for highspeed not Superspeed. What
> failure did the dwc3 driver reported? Missed isoc? What's the request
> transfer size?

Yes, I see missed isoc errors. But this is just a symptom in this case.

I can increase the maxburst or maxpacket parameters stepwise and on
one point see the flickering appear. But when I increase the TXFIFOSIZE
for the endpoint the flickering is gone again. Until I increase one of
the parameters maxpacket or maxburst to much again.

So due to the memory bandwidth is under pressure, it seems like the
hardware is not fast enough with sending the expected data per transfer,
due to the txfifo is not long enough and needs to be refilled more
often.

This sounds like a fifo underrun issue in the hardware.

I am currently looking into the fifo_resize device tree paramter,
and try to figure out how the calculation is done.

From the software design point of view, having the fifo calculation
parameterized is a bad idea. We probably want to analyze how many
endpoints are going to be used in the active gadget config and use the
finite fifo length to calculate some fair parts for every ep
once and then never touch them again. Dynamic resizing should not be
necessary or do I overlook something?

What do you think?

There are multiple factors that impact the isoc performance:
1) FIFO size
	Typically the FIFO size is recommended to a minimum of the
	output of dwc3_gadget_calc_tx_fifo_size(). For isoc, depending
	on the request size, if it's 48KB/uframe, you probably need more
	than the minimum. Each physical endpoint has a pre-configured TX
	FIFO size. Without touching the FIFO reconfiguration parameter,
	then the driver will just pick the first physical endpoint that
	can be used, but it may not be the best fit for your purpose.

This has an effect but needs to be tweaked somehow.

2) Burst setting
	I think this is self-explainatory. Large data request needs
	higher burst.

I will have to find out if the burst setting can be changed on the
rk3568 somehow. This sounds very likely.

3) Internal cache size
	The controller caches X number of TRBs every time you queue a
	new request. If a request has a lot small TRBs, then it needs to
	recache multiple times just to complete the request. Typically
	the controller caches 8 or 16 TRBs. I notice that UVC uses SG to
	split up the request to small SG entries base on logical parts
	rather than for performance or hardware size contraints. So,
	there can be improvements here.

In my particular case the issue is also seen when using the non_sg uvc
path and doing memcpy instead. So I for this usecase it may be the less
significant factor.

4) Host bandwidth constraint
	The host can limit the burst threshold and do less burst than
	what the device is capable of due to the host's bandwidth
	contraint. If there are other endpoint traffic on top of isoc
	endpoint, then the host would have to reserve bandwidth for
	other endpoints. Depending on the host controller
	implementation, it may reserve more or less for isoc. Also, if
	there are hubs or other devices in the topology, then it impacts
	the bandwidth too.

The host has no other traffic going on other then the isoc uvc streaming.

Base on your description, looks like modifying TX FIFO size impacts the
most. We already have some properties to calculate and resize the TX
FIFO size, did you try to see if it improves for you? (check
dwc->do_fifo_resize).

First, thaks for the detailed explanation!

I already enabled do_fifo_resize but it did not have an effect. However
when I additionally set the second parameter from
dwc3_gadget_calc_tx_fifo_size in dwc3_gadget_resize_tx_fifos from 1 to 2
it improves the streaming. But it does only to another threshold.

In particular without the fifo increase it was only possible
to use maxburst of 2 and multilier of 2. With the increased txfifo
the it was possible to use maxburst of 4. My goal is an
multiplier of 2 and maxburst of at least 6. Otherwise streaming
of 4k mjpeg is not guaranteed.

> Perhaps you can capture some tracepoints of the problem?

IMHO tracepoints are probably not necessary here anymore.

This helps to see how uvc setups the transfer and see what could impact
the isoc transfers (for point 3 and 4 above). However, if just resizing
the TX FIFO works for you, perhaps we can just focus into this.

Since 3 and 4 are currently not so significant I will focus on the
first two points.

Thanks,
Michael