Re: DWC3-Gadget: Flickering with ISOC Streaming (UVC) while multiplier set on Superspeed

Cc'ing: Stanley Chang <stanley_chang@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 12:41:33AM +0200, Michael Grzeschik wrote:
Hi Thinh

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 01:35:16AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2023, Michael Grzeschik wrote:
I just stumbled over a similar issue we already solved for the High
Speed Case when streaming ISOC packages and using a multiplier higher
then one. Last time we saw some bad frame artefacts when using the
higher multiplier value. The Frames were distorted due to truncated
transfers.

Since the last case we have patch

8affe37c525d ("usb: dwc3: gadget: fix high speed multiplier setting")

that fixes the calculation of the mult PCM1 parameter when using high
speed transfers. After that no truncations were reported again.

However I came across a similar issue which is just a little less easy
to trigger and only occurs with Superspeed. Now, while the memory
bandwidth of the machine runs on higher load, the UVC frames are
similarly distorted when we use a multiplier higher then one.

I looked over the implications the multiplier has on the Superspeed case
in the dwc3 gadget driver, but could only find some TXFIFO adjustments
and no other extra bits e.g. in the transfer descriptors. Do you have
some pointers how the multiplier parameter of the endpoint is used in
hardware?

As you already know, PCM1 is only for highspeed not Superspeed. What
failure did the dwc3 driver reported? Missed isoc? What's the request
transfer size?

Yes, I see missed isoc errors. But this is just a symptom in this case.

I can increase the maxburst or maxpacket parameters stepwise and on
one point see the flickering appear. But when I increase the TXFIFOSIZE
for the endpoint the flickering is gone again. Until I increase one of
the parameters maxpacket or maxburst to much again.

So due to the memory bandwidth is under pressure, it seems like the
hardware is not fast enough with sending the expected data per transfer,
due to the txfifo is not long enough and needs to be refilled more
often.

This sounds like a fifo underrun issue in the hardware.

This whole issue sound like a case of stanleys patches:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230828055212.5600-1-stanley_chang@xxxxxxxxxxx/

For now I was unluky while adjusting the paramaters. Are those registers
anywhere documented?

Michael