Re: A videocam works on OHCI and fails on UHCI

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> >
> >> First the log where it fails, done on a Dell C600 Inspiron laptop (I have
> >> tested on a couple of much newer machines, too, in case you think this one
> >> is too old, but with no different outcome):
> >
> >> Now similar lines from the log for the same camera, on a machine where the
> >> camera is working properly:
> >
> > The first log shows that the camera was sending packets okay; the
> > packets were just empty.  So it's not like the camera was failing to
> > work at all.  The second log was the same as the first except that the
> > packets were not empty; they contained data.
> >
> > Indeed, this is suggestive of something like not having enough power.
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> Indeed, indeed. Except that being able to find a good AAA battery in the
> house and putting it in the camera did not help the camera to stream, at
> all. So it is something else.

Well, then I'm stumped.

There appear to be two possibilities.  One is that the camera really is
sending nonempty data packets, but for some reason uhci-hcd doesn't get
the data.  The only way to verify this would be to use a USB bus
analyzer.

The other is that the camera really is sending empty data packets.
Then one has to figure out why the camera behaves differently in the
two environments; presumably only the manufacturers have enough
information to make that determination.

Alan Stern