Re: UVC Gadget Driver shows glitched frames with a Linux host

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023, Avichal Rakesh wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 6:07 PM Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 03:45:53PM -0700, Avichal Rakesh wrote:
> > > I see, and I think I understand Greg's previous comment better as
> > > well: The UVC driver isn't falling behind on the video stream, it is
> > > falling behind the usb controller's monotonic isoc stream.
> > >
> > > From what I can see, this leaves us in an interesting place: UVC
> > > allows the host to configure the camera's output resolution and fps,
> > > which effectively controls how fast the camera is generating data.
> > > This is at odds with the UVC gadget driver, which currently packs each
> > > video frame into as few usb_requests as possible (using the full
> > > available size in usb_requests). Effectively, the UVC gadget driver
> > > attempts to use the "full" bandwidth of isoc transfers even when the
> > > camera isn't generating data fast enough. For example, in my
> > > observations: 1 video frame is ~22kB. At 30fps, this represents 1/30
> > > of the amount of data the camera would generate in a second. This 22kB
> > > is split into 8 usb_requests which is about 1/1000 the number of
> > > requests UVC driver needs to generate per second to prevent isoc
> > > failures (assuming 125us monotonic uframes). Assuming some fudge
> > > factor from the simplifications in your explanation gives the uvc
> > > driver some extra leeway with request queuing, we're still roughly two
> > > order of magnitudes out of sync. Even with perfect 'complete'
> > > callbacks and video frame encodings, an underrun seems inevitable.
> > > Data is being generated at a far slower rate than it is being
> > > transferred. Does this reasoning seem valid?
> > >
> > > Just as a test I'll try updating the UVC driver to consume 266
> > > usb_requests per video frame (~1/30 of 8000), which should be enough
> > > to keep the usb controller queue occupied for ~1/30s. Ideally, by the
> > > time the controller queue is empty, the camera would have produced a
> > > new frame. This doesn't solve the issue with latencies around callback
> > > and an isoc failure might still happen, hopefully the failure
> > > frequency is reduced because UVC queues enough requests per video
> > > frame to not starve the controller's queue while waiting on a new
> > > frame and the only way they go out of sync is from 'complete' callback
> > > timings. I am assuming this has been tried before, but my LKML search
> > > skills are failing and I can't find much on it.
> >
> > Note that there's nothing wrong with submitting a 0-length isochronous
> > transfer.  If there's no data left but you still need to send
> > _something_ in order to fill out the remaining slots in the controller's
> > schedule, this is a good way to do it.
> >
> Oh, this is very good to know, thank you!! We just need to reach a
> steady state of UVC queuing enough requests monotonically (even if
> they are empty), and the usb controller calling the 'complete'
> callback to give it more requests to queue. Although I wonder how the
> host's UVC driver would interpret the zero length packets, if it would
> even care.

By the usb spec, for IN direction, if there's no data available and the
host requests for data, then the device will send a zero-length data
packet. This is what the dwc3 controller will do. So regardless whether
you prepare and queue a 0-length request or not, the host will receive
it.

> I am unfortunately being pulled into some other work for the next few
> days, but I will try out both: splitting one frame into many many
> requests and just sending 0 length requests, and see what happens on
> the host. Will report back with what I find. Any other insights are
> welcome. I want to fix this problem for good if possible, and am happy
> to try out whatever it takes!

That would be great. Thanks.

BR,
Thinh