Re: Fwd: USB - scanner no longer working on desktop system

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> I've been advised to forward this on. Further information: I updated
> the kernel to 19lenny2, and the scanner was recognised but when I
> tried to use it, the software couldn't see it and the keyboard and
> trackball stopped working.
>
> I still think this is a hardware fault and am pursuing that aspect -
> but if it is a kernel problem, I would hope to be able to fix it.

This is certainly a hardware problem of some sort.

> ----- Forwarded message from phil-lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----
>
> My scanner, an Epson Perfection 2400, has recently stopped working on
> my desktop system - it was fine for the last year. It still works on
> my laptop.
>
> Both systems are running Debian lenny, the main difference being the
> kernel version. Currently, the desktop has 2.6.26-19lenny1 - 19lenny2
> and 19 are also listed as available. Due to its Intel 5100 wireless,
> the laptop has a newer kernel - 2.6.30-7~bpo50+1 - with
> 2.6.30-8~bpo50+1 also listed as available.
>
> I am not sure if the kernel on the desktop has changed since the
> scanner last worked, but will try the other available versions this
> evening unless I hear that it is a definite hardware fault, which I
> suspect it might be.
>
> The desktop system also has a USB keyboard, trackball and joystick,
> and flash drives also work on it. I have not tried my IDE connector
> recently but that worked last time I tried it. I did have to return
> one of a pair of flash drives, the supplier said the returned one
> worked but replaced it anyway as I had returned only one and kept the
> other, which worked.
>
> When I connect the scanner, or if connected at boot, I would normally
> expect lsusb to show it. If I try it now, it takes a long time to
> return and does not list the scanner.
>
> I have attached a usbmon dump showing what happens when I connect the
> scanner to the desktop, leaving it connected until the lsusb times
> out. (compressed)

It would be useful to see a comparable usbmon trace from the laptop.
The data you attached shows that the scanner connected at high speed
but then did not operate correctly.  When the kernel finally forced it
to switch to full speed, it did operate.

> I would be grateful if someone could advise. If this is a hardware
> fault, it could only be either the PSU or the motherboard, and I am
> not sure how I could easily determine which. If however it is a kernel
>   problem, I can probably find a way to fix it.

A usbmon trace from the laptop should answer these questions.

Alan Stern