Re: USB bus power budget and hubs

On Sat, 07 November 2009 Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 7. November 2009 18:06:05 schrieb Bruno Prémont:
> > > When a hub is bus-powered, the USB specification does not allow
> > > it to provide more than 100 mA to each port.  Since the Sandisk
> > > pen wants more than 100 mA, the kernel rejects its configuration.
> > >  You can override this decision if you want by writing the
> > > appropriate config value to the
> > > pen's /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../bConfigurationValue file.
> >
> > That's a not so nice limitation of the spec... It would have been
> > more useful if the "available" power could be forwarded to a single
> > port of the HUB even if in that case 0ma remain for the other 3
> > ports.
>
> Suppose we did this and somebody plugs in another device.
> Do we refuse to service this device?

I would say yes as there is not enough power left in the budget,
first-come first-served would then apply.

There are also HUBs with more than 4 ports (though they might
refuse to work bus-powered), in this case with 100ma per port the same
result would be achieved with plugging in the fifth 100ma device.

Bruno