dwc3 gadget and USB3

we are using fsl-ls1043a-rdb based design but with a ls1023a SOC and
use USB0 in gadget mode running either NCM or RNDIS ethernet on top.

When we connect the gadget to a PC(Linux of Windows) over an USB2 hub,
networking(NCM or RNDIS) works well.

However, when we connect the gadget directly to the PC/laptop which uses USB3
we see something odd:
  Ping from PC to gadget works.
  Ping from gadget to laptop does not. However if we also ping from PC at the same time we
  see gadget to PC start working.
Seems like ping from the PC tiggers the gadget to see incoming pkgs somehow.

Any idea what might be wrong or how to debug this?
Kernel 5.15.87

 Jocke