All USB tools hang when one descriptor read fails and needs to timeout

Hi,

We have a hardware projekt where something is off with power ON
timing. It sometimes gets started in a broken state where the device
is seen by the USB system but does not respond to descriptor reads.

When this happens this causes lsusb and libusb based tools to hang
until the descriptor read in the USB subsystem timeout out after 30
seconds or so. It looks like the tools are trying to read
/sys/bus/usb/devices/.../descriptors and it blocks until the timeout
happens.

We should fix our hardware and have done so in the next revision but
why should one device be able to block the descriptors file that most
user land USB code seem to use.

Would there be any reasoning against just serving the descriptors file
as it looked before inserting the broken USB device instead of
blocking the read?

And if we wanted to create a pull request for a change like that would
it be accepted or would it be considered breaking the API?

Regards Troels