Re: usb 1-3: Product: BBC micro:bit CMSIS-DAP not recognised

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 02:50:17PM +0000, dima.pasechnik@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> See https://tech.microbit.org/hardware/
> (choose V2.2X there)
> I have nRF52833-QDAA (there is also a different option)

Under the "USB Communications" section, that page says:

USB classes supported	Mass Storage Class (MSC)
			Communications Device Class (CDC)
			CMSIS-DAP HID & WinUSB
			WebUSB CMSIS-DAP HID

You already know about the MSC and CDC classes.  The other two appear to
be versions of a CMSIS-DAP HID protocol, which is clearly not a serial
communications protocol since it is HID.

So it looks like you aren't missing anything.

> here is "details" on the board itself (describing firmware, I suppose)
>
> # DAPLink Firmware - see https://daplink.io
> Build ID: alpha9-189-g5dd23001 (gcc)
> Unique ID: 9905360200052833525e24a702a68552000000006e052820
> HIC ID: 6e052820
> Auto Reset: 1
> Automation allowed: 0
> Overflow detection: 0
> Incompatible image detection: 1
> Page erasing: 0
> Daplink Mode: Interface
> Interface Version: 0256
> Bootloader Version: 0256
> Git SHA: 5dd23001a7a3199d74870790049d6686e183316c
> Local Mods: 0
> USB Interfaces: MSD, CDC, HID, WebUSB

Which agrees with the information on the web site.  I have no idea what
WebUSB is supposed to be.  In the lsusb output it doesn't have any
resources -- in particular, no endpoints -- so all of its communications
must occur over endpoint 0.

> Bootloader CRC: 0xa60a7780
> Interface CRC: 0x0bac75fa
> Remount count: 0

The dmesg log in your original message showed you were trying to bind
the usb-serial generic driver to interfaces 4 and 5.  But interface 4 is
the WebUSB thing which, whatever it is, certainly isn't a serial
interface.  And interface 5 is another HID interface; it calls itself
CMSIS-DAP v2.  It sounds like an updated form of the other CMSIS-DAP HID
interface.  It probably would have bound to the HID driver if you hadn't
told the usb-serial driver to control it.

In short, there's no reason at all to expect the micro:bit board to give
rise to a ttyUSB device.

Alan Stern