Re: usbmon and scatter-gather

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:26:38 -0400 (EDT), Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can do it, if it's okay with you.

Of course. As a lazy programmer, I abhor work. :-)

> Another possibility is to return an initial segment of the data, up to
> the first non-addressable buffer.  Would that work?  I don't know if
> usbmon can handle storing a partial (> 0 but < transfer_buffer_length)
> data block.

I see your point. In most cases people only ever see first 32 bytes
anyway, so... As far as I can tell from a quick look to refresh my
memory, struct mon_bin_hdr is ready for it. It has two lenghts:
len_urb and len_cap, exactly so you can capture partials. It cannot
represent a list of segments with holes, but a short capture is ok.
So with your proposal old applications can continue working
(remember that in theory the buffer is visible through mmap).
For the text, it always returned less than was transferred and
in any case its internal structures are not visible to applications.
The only consideration, then, is how painful it is for you to
code this.

-- Pete