Re: autosuspend for storage (was:Re: USB conversion to the runtime PM framework)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009 19:16:29 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > Just like that case, here the only modules which have all the knowledge
> > > to make an informed decision are the upper layer modules.
> >
> > This is, of course, correct.  But the infrastructure for the higher
> > layers to signal us isn't in place yet.  I was wondering if in the
> > meantime, we could implement a stopgap approach that wouldn't be 100%
> > right but would be better than nothing.
>
> It sounds seductive, but Matthew is right, it's not worth doing it twice.

All right.  I accept your and Matt's advice.

> > Or should I just forget about it and work on implementing support for
> > the new runtime PM framework in both USB and SCSI?
>
> Do you need to do it for USB? It seems to me you could implement
> the hooks only for storage and use the new framework only for SCSI.
> This is not as nice, but faster to do and very little work to reverse
> and leads to a nicer migration path.

Doing it for USB is likely to be a lot easier than changing SCSI.
Much of the support already exists; most of the changes will be
confined to usbcore and it's pretty clear what needs to be done there.
With SCSI, adding runtime PM support will be a fundamental change and
it's likely to provoke objections from some of the SCSI developers.

Alan Stern