Re: USB conversion to the runtime PM framework

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > > We can however have the storage driver call the scsi devices' suspend
> > > handlers.
> >
> > No, we can't.  The SCSI suspend handlers, if they did anything at all,
> > would try to send commands to the device.  This would either abort the
> > autosuspend or deadlock when trying to acquire the pm_mutex.
>
> Can't we quiesce the device and recognise the flushing commands?

You mean, allow START-STOP and SYNCHRONIZE CACHE to pass through
without aborting the autosuspend?  What if the SCSI suspend routine
wants to send something else?

For that matter, what if the SCSI drivers fail to accept I/O requests
while they think their device is suspended?  I just don't think your
idea can be made to work well.

Alan Stern