Re: Toshiba G450 kernel patch

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Josua Dietze wrote:
> Peter Magdina schrieb:
> >I have created patch for linux kernel which handles Toshiba G450
> >as a HSDPA modem.
>
> Honestly, I'd rather see a principal decision to do all this
> switching stuff either in the kernel or in the userspace. Up
> to now every device could be handled by "udev" and
> "usb_modeswitch". Even proper device identification (beyond
> vendor and product ID, to avoid ambiguities) can be done
> there. And lately the "option" driver is bound to switched
> modems via the "new_id" facility, with no immediate need to
> add them to the "option" ID list.

I happen to support this idea.  But, to get there from here, we would need
to systematicaly make sure that all currently supported devices would be
supported properly by udev and usb_modeswitch, then remove them from the
kernel.

I don't recall the objections to moving all this to userspace, but I do
remember that there were some.  But, I agree, having all this in the kernel
is (a) confusing and (b) makes it difficult to add new devices quickly and
easily.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sir, for the hundreth time, we do NOT carry 600-round boxes of belt-fed
suction darts!
					-- Salesperson to Greg
User Friendly, 12/30/1997