Re: Two usbfs users can claim the same interface

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, David Vrabel wrote:

> If process A has an interface claimed and process B disconnects the
> kernel driver then process B can also claim the interface.
>
> I think USBFSDEV_DISCONNECT shouldn't disconnect the usbfs driver.

That statement certainly could be the subject of a prolonged
discussion.  Hence I'm CC-ing the libusb mailing list; people there may
have some strong opinions on this matter.

> Something like this (untested) patch.  Is this the correct approach or
> should userspace processes be more co-operative?  e.g., by making
> libusb's libusb_kernel_driver_active() returning false if driver ==
> "usbfs" and expecting users to only call libusb_detach_kernel_driver()
> if one is active.

There might be programs which really _do_ want to unbind other
programs, so ruling out that capability in the kernel is likely to be a
mistake.  My preference is to let userspace sort this out.

Alan Stern