g_ether and RNDIS when cable plugged in at boot

Hi,

I'm running g_ether usb ethernet gadget on an AT91SAM9260 based board
connected to a PC running Windows XP.
Using the linux.inf file provided in linux/Documentation/usb I can
succesfully setup RNDIS and ICS (internet connection sharing) so that
the PC acts as a gateway for my device.

Everything works fine if I connect the usb cable AFTER the linux
device has booted.  If the cable is connected before starting the
device (for example when calling reboot) the RNDIS connection is not
automatically established.  The g_ether module loads correctly and the
RNDIS connection starts up if I unplug and replug the USB cable.

Is this normal behaviour or is there something wrong with my setup?

Is there a way to make the RNDIS connection automatically when g_ether
module is loaded?
Is there a way to force g_ether or usbnet to reset in order to
simulate a cable being plugged in?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michel