Re: "Safely remove hardware" for USB

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> I have no problem with exporting this feature at all. It is necessary for
> what you want to do and what you want to do is useful.
> My problem is with the API to user space. I suggest that you add this
> to the storage driver not generic USB code and all is well.

Do you mean _both_ storage drivers (usb-storage and ub)?  What about
future storage drivers (UASP)?  You can see why I preferred to add it
in the core...

> You could even make an API that makes the storage driver unregister
> the SCSI host but retain its binding to the device until it tells usbcore
> to disable the port. That closes the race with probe().

There is no need to worry about races with probe, as far as usb-storage
is concerned.  Probe and unbind are already sufficiently mutually
exclusive.  I don't know about ub.

> Can you live with that?

Alan Stern