Re: Model USB serial driver

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:34:40PM -0700, Rob Duncan wrote:
> I'm about to start work on a new USB serial driver and I'd like to
> know which currently existing driver is recommended to be used as a
> model to base my code on.  Ideally it will be not too feature-rich,
> not too idiosyncratic, use the latest APIs in the best way, and have
> good performance, etc.  My driver will go back into the public kernel
> tree when it's done.

It depends on what your device looks like.  If it is "one tty per usb
endpoint pair", then you can just use the usb-generic driver and
overload a few basic functions for flow control.

If it is more complex, with multiple tty ports for a single USB
endpoint, then you might want to look at the edgeport driver, but clean
it up a bunch.

What device is this for?

thanks,

greg k-h