Re: "Safely remove hardware" for USB

Am Montag, 28. September 2009 22:05:55 schrieb David Zeuthen:
> Moving all this into the kernel when writing to the new 'remove' file
> could probably be done but seems like a lot of work (you'd get rid of
> some (theoretical) races in 1.-5., though). And I'd need to do this from
> user space anyway since I'd like the "safely remove hardware" feature to
> work for other drivers/buses/interconnects (FWIW, the other interesting
> case is an ATA device (typicall cd-rom drive) in an Ultrabay on a
> Thinkpad laptop).

This surprises me.
I suppose you also want to do this for

- mmc cards
- firewire
- external sata
- pcmcia card readers

and some other cases.
So I don't see how this would be approprietely implemented
with a generic USB API.

If you make a generic API you must also come up with clear
ideas about what is to happen if it is not used the way you want to use it.
And it should be useful for generic devices.
Considering this you'd be best served with a trigger in usbfs. That makes
sure you've claimed the device and we avoid all kinds of problems.

	Regards
		Oliver