RE: USB suspend/resume

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Yang Fei-AFY095 wrote:

> I think I was confused by the logic :(, so for any non-high-speed udev,
> skip_sys_resume would be set to 1, but for high speed udev,
> skip_sys_resume would be set only if udev->parent is valid.
>
> I'm still not sure how to interprete the comment "High-speed root hubs
> are an exception; they need to resume whenever the system wakes up in
> order for USB-PERSIST port handover to work properly". What is broken if
> we set skip_sys_resume regardless of the speed?

Then USB-PERSIST port handover won't work.  If a full-speed device is
attached to the computer, and the UHCI or OHCI host controller gets
reset or loses power during a system suspend, then during resume the
kernel will believe that the device was unplugged and then replugged.
If the device was a USB drive and it contained a mounted filesystem
then the filesystem will become unusable.

Alan Stern