Re: USB device disconnects on resume

On 02.05.22 21:32, Alan Stern wrote:

Hi,

I am happy to help, if I can.
> The usbmon trace shows that quite a lot happens during re-enumeration
> that doesn't happen during the reset-resume.  No doubt the reason for
> this is that the cdc-wdm driver doesn't have a real reset-resume
> handler; the operations it carries out for a reset-resume are the same
> as for a normal resume, and that clearly is not appropriate here.
Doing reset_resume() for WDM is problematic. The whole point
of WDM as a protocol is to put the configuration of a device
into user space. What is a kernel driver to do in that case.?
> For example, the usbmon trace shows that the kernel sends a
> Set-Interface request to the modem during re-enumeration and then does a
> whole lot of probing that I don't understand.  None of this stuff
> happens during the reset-resume.  Probably the modem decides that
> without any of this extra configuration, it doesn't need to do
> anything -- and that's why it disconnects itself.

Are you sure that stuff comes from CDC-WDM in the case of reenumeration?
WDM does not do set_interface() in any case.

    Regards
        Oliver