Re: bug report: Olympus MAUSB-200 card reader and 1GB Type H xD-Picture Card

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009, Eric Ding wrote:

> > What about hald-probe-volume?  Doesn't that still cause problems?
>
> Hey, good question!  :)  It doesn't seem to, which did make me wonder what
> was going on as well.  I was just going to accept that it now works without
> any further questions, but for the sake of scientific inquiry, I've tried a
> couple experiments: (1) turn off vol_id's executable bit again to confirm
> that hald-probe-volume by itself causes problems, (2) turn off the executable
> bit on hald-probe-volume to isolate what vol_id is doing, and (3) turn on the
> executable bit for both and let things "work."  I've logged usbmon output for
> all three scenarios and included them below.  What can you make of these?

I'd guess that the card has some bad sectors near (but not at) the end.
When asked to read them it fails and from then on, no reads will work.
Whether these continuing failures are the fault of the card or the
reader, I can't say.

Alan Stern