EHCI: query about "add software retry for transaction errors" patch

Hi All,

I have been working on a USB problem that appears to be resolved by the following patch (commit a2c2706e1043c17139c2dafd171c4a5cf008ef7e)

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a2c2706e1043c17139c2dafd171c4a5cf008ef7e

The changelog for this patch reads:

USB: EHCI: add software retry for transaction errors

This patch (as1204) adds a software retry mechanism to ehci-hcd.  It
gets invoked when the driver encounters transaction errors on an
asynchronous endpoint.  On many systems, hardware deficiencies cause
such errors to occur if one device is unplugged while the host is
communicating with another device.  With the patch, the failed
transactions are retried and generally succeed the second or third
time through.

This description "on many systems, hardware deficiencies cause such errors to occur if one device is unplugged while the host is communicating with another device" describes the problem to a tee. Such that I see a usb failure when one device busy and another is connected.

The above mentions that "hardware deficiencies" can cause this. I am curious to know if anyone has more details on these hardware deficiencies and if there are any chipsets that are known to be problematic.

I have seen this problem on my ubuntu laptop which has an intel usb host controller.

Cheers
Jon--