Re: [ANNOUNCE] libtypec_0.1/lstypec_0.1 is released

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 09:39:17PM +0530, Rajaram Regupathy wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 5:20 PM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > - Fixed compile error caused due to new version of compiler
> > > - Fixed license details.
> >
> > The license details are still quite vague.  Please try to put proper
> > SPDX license identifiers on the individual files so that they are not
> > vague at all.  What you have here will prevent people from being able to
> > use this code until it is cleaned up, sorry.
>
> I have updated license details. It is aligned and made compatible with
> similar usb frameworks.

Nice, so the library is GPLv2?

You might want to download the 'reuse' tool and run 'reuse lint' on your
repo.  The license file name is a bit odd and doesn't parse well, but I
understand what you mean here :)

Also note, that GPLv2 is NOT a good license for a library, but hey, it's
your code, not mine.

> > > Additionally the library uses what is available in the existing
> > > framework and  acts as a wrapper between
> > > lower layers and the applications and not a self reliant entity.
> > > Could you please help better understand your concern ?
> >
> > How can this be used?
>
> Few possible usages :
>
> 1) Informational utilities like lstype
> 2) Analyzing Utilities - With usb-c products in different versions,
> vendors and e-cables usb-c port may not work as intended. this utility
> shall check
> usb-c port's operation and report/notify.
> 3) Test Utilities - Test tools similar to UCSIControl.exe
> 4) Policy Managers: like
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform2/+/HEAD/typecd/README.md
> etc..
> >
> > How about adding support for this with lsusb as an example to show how
> > it might be incorporated.  Or better yet, what about adding this to
> > libusb so that all platforms will work.  That is, if this is even
> > relevant for userspace USB access, which I still can't figure out if it
> > is or not...
>
> IMHO, I believe usb-c is not usb and hence integrating usb-c
> operations with usb utilities or libraries is not a modular approach.
> (usbcore vs typec).

Parts of USB-C is USB :)

> Having said that  if it would be good to integrate lstypec with lsusb
> as you recommended, would be happy to push patches to lsusb

Maybe parts of the output of lstypec would be good to have in lsusb, I
don't know.  Take a look at see what you think.

thanks,

greg k-h