Re: Differentiating hardware from software usb problem

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 04:41:13PM -0500, Steve Rinsler wrote:
> Hi Dr. Stern,
>
> I have a 4965 wlan/BT min pcie card in an older laptop (c. 2006) that when
> turned on produces a continual stream of usb device connection and
> disconnection messages.  This renders the wifi nonfunctional and eventually
> freezes many functions of the laptop.  This occurs both when using Windows
> XP (the os that the machine came with) and a Linux distro based on Debian
> Sid.

What matters is not the distro but rather the kernel version.

> I am trying to figure out whether this is a hardware or software issue.  I
> have tried many suggested software changes to block the Bluetooth
> component, but that hasn’t stopped the usb device messages.
>
> I would like to test the hardware but have not found a guide on how to do
> this.
>
> If you know of such, I would appreciate a reference.

You can try something like the USB20CV test program available from
https://www.usb.org/compliancetools (assuming your card is USB-2).
Aside from that, though, I don't know of any hardware tests that don't
require special test equipment.

Given the circumstances you describe, it seems quite likely that you're
dealing with a hardware problem.

> Otherwise, I would appreciate your recommendation on a site to post the
> details where I might get assistance.

The linux-usb mailing list (CC'ed) is appropriate.

> This is my oldest computer and I am primarily using it as a toy to expand
> my knowledge of Linux.
>
> Thanks for any assistance and happy new year.

You're welcome.

Alan Stern