Re: An inquiry on supporting USB CDC ACM on Host PC as USB Host/Master

On 09.12.21 15:24, Maggie Maralit wrote:
Hi,
> My questions are:
> 1. With CONFIG_USB_ACM very common and useful, why is it not enabled
> by default in most platforms with USB ports like the x86_64 (normal
> for laptops and Intel NUCs)?

The upstream config is supposed to be minimal. Doing optimal
configs is a task for distributions or people who compile their own kernel.

> 2. Is there any rule or official statement from Linux Kernel
> maintainers/experts, highly recommending platform developers (or
> specific Ubuntu releases) to support this? (if there is, may I have a
> link of the documentation mentioning such?)
That is Ubuntu's job.
> 3. And is there a possibility for that module to get installed in the
> Linux Kernel just by the usual Linux commands (eg, "apt get
> update/upgrade")?

That question depends on your distribution. I suppose every sane general
purpose Linux distribution will compile and deliver cdc-acm, but I haven't
checked.

The configuration of your running kernel is in /proc/config.gz and is chosen
by the developer's of Ubuntu if you are running their kernel.

    HTH
        Oliver