Re: XHCI unplug of USB-C device is not detected

On 6.11.2021 14.23, Mark Hills wrote:

>> Also see if disabling runtime suspend for both roothubs helps:
>> # echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/control
>> # echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/power/control
>
> Yes, it helps. I pinpointed it on usb3. The webcam can now be plugged and
> re-plugged. It also survives a suspend/resume of the machine now and I can
> see the change in portsc:
>
>   -Powered Connected Enabled Link:U3 PortSpeed:4 Change: Wake:
>   +Powered Not-connected Disabled Link:RxDetect PortSpeed:0 Change: Wake:
>
> So it seems this is a workaround -- thank you.
>
> Is it worth getting to the root of this problem (and can I capture any
> data to help?) or is it just that some devices are buggy?

To me this looks more like a like a wakeup issue on your platform than a buggy usb device.
I'd look more into the what PCI D state the xHC controller is put into during
runtime suspend, and make sure it actually can generate a PME wake from that state.
PCI code will select D state based on values from ACPI firmware DSDT tables so those might
be worth looking into.

Assuming of course this is a PCI xhci controller

-Mathias