Re: Handling short transfers

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Daniel Drake wrote:

> >> I like David's suggestion of preserving the old meaning of
> >> USBDEVFS_URB_SHORT_NOT_OK.
> >
> > I seriously doubt that any user programs employ it.  Certainly nothing
> > using libusb does.
>
> OK, either way works..

In the end I decided not to change it, since there's no reason not to
remain compatible.  In the new version of the patch, the flag is named
USBDEVFS_URB_BULK_CONTINUATION and it should be set for every URB after
the first in a multi-URB bulk transfer.  (Of course, URB_SHORT_NOT_OK
should remain set for every URB in a bulk_IN transfer.)

In the updated patch this mechanism affects all bulk transfers, not
just bulk-IN.  So for example, if a transient hardware problem causes a
bulk-OUT URB to fail, the remaining URBs in that transfer will
automatically be cancelled.

I will post the new patch shortly.  The expectation is that it will get
into the next merge window, so it will appear in 2.6.32.

Alan Stern