OV518+ driver missing decompressor

I have a GE EasyCam Pro (05a9:a518, OV518+, OV7620AE). Many kernel
versions ago, the camera worked, using Mark McClelland's out-of-tree
drivers at <http://ovcam.org/ov511/>. However, it seems that those
drivers have remained untouched for more than 3 years, and of course
they're long-incompatible with 2.6.30.

The in-tree driver lacks the decompressor required for this particular
implementation. I seem to recall that there was some specific issue
with including the decompressor in the kernel source, but I can't find
a reference anymore. I found a hacked-up driver that includes JPEG
code in the module (ov51x-jpeg), but of course that's risky,
unfavorable, and requires out-of-tree maintenance.

Does anyone know what is required to make this work again? I'm willing
to do the work, but I just don't know where to start. Does the
decompressor support belong in applications themselves? Does the V4L
library require work to support it? What can I do to make this work
with the in-tree driver?

Thanks,

--
Brett Warden