Re: not mountable digital camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-S40)

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:

> On Friday 28 August 2009 22:06:05 Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > A usbmon trace is what we need.  Instructions are in the kernel
> > source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
>
> Thank you.
>
> > Ideally you should collect two traces: One with the older working
> > kernel
>
> It is here:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=315849
>
> but I couldn't figure out which device is Sony camera so it is trace
> of all devices.
>
> > and one with the newer kernel.
>
> And here -- camera only:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=315848
>
> > Please include the kernel
> > versions (i.e., output from "uname -r").
>
> 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
> it is updated kernel for opensuse 11.1 but I couldn't mount this
> camera from day 1
>
> 2.6.22.5-31-default
> this is the kernel used in opensuse 10.3 in this test.
>
>   I hope the traces are OK.

There are okay as far as they go, but they don't go far enough.  You
should start the traces before plugging in the camera, not just before
trying to mount it.  Also, it helps to remove clutter from the traces
by first unplugging all other USB devices, or as many as possible.

I don't see any significant difference in the traces between the
actions of the two kernels.  Since one worked and the other didn't, I
have to conclude that they did something differently before the traces
were started.

Alan Stern