Re: [RFC]extension of the anchor API

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 11:23:05AM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 25.03.2021, 14:38 -0400 schrieb Alan Stern:

> > > OK. "In the same sequence as they were anchored" ?
> >
> > Hmmm.  What happens if you submit an anchor's worth of URBs, but then
> > you kill them in the reverse order (which is how you would normally want
> > to cancel a bunch of URBs)?  Since each URB gets moved to the end of the
> > anchor's list when it completes, after they are all killed the list will
> > be reversed.  So the next time you submit the anchor, the order of URBs
> > will be backward.  If some of the URBs completed before they were
> > killed, the order will be mixed up.
>
> Yes. If the URBs themselves, as opposed to their payloads, are
> different, this will happen. Yet I am afraid we are looking at a
> necessary race condition here. If you cancel a non-atomic operation,
> you will need to deal with all possible intermediate stages of
> completion.

That's not the point.  The point is that the description you wrote is
incorrect.

I can imagine someone who doesn't understand the details of the
anchor/mooring API creating an array of pointers to URBs, then filling
in those URBs in the array's order.  That would mess things up if a
previous kill caused the order of the anchor list to be different from
the array order.

How about instead of moving URBs to the end of the list when they
complete, you have the anchor maintain a pointer to the most recently
submitted URB?

Alan Stern