Re: Device lockup when copying a large file

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Alan Stern<stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > You should give us more complete information.  Which version of Linux
>> > are you running on the device?  What kind of device is it?  What
>> > command do you use to load g_file_storage?  How do you initiate the
>> > file copy?  And so on...
>> I am using 2.6.22 kernel version on the device.  I use
>
> What kind of device is it?  Which USB peripheral driver are you using?
> Does the same thing happen if you upgrade to 2.6.30?  A lot of bugs
> have been fixed in the last two years...
I am using the musb-gadget driver for the MUSB phy.  I haven't
upgraded to 2.6.30 to get the changes.
It runs on a ti omap3 processor.
>> modprobe g_file_storage file='vfat-parition-address' removable=y stall=1
>
> vfat-parition-address is a normal file, right?
Yes, it is a normal file.
>> Once the vfat partition is mounted on windows, I just drag and copy
>> the file from windows
>> to the device.  This does not happen every single time.  It happens at
>> random intervals
>> (maybe once in ten times).  The device is not workable until it is
>> reset completely.
>
> This could be caused by a bug in the peripheral driver.  If you enable
> debugging in the driver and send all the kernel messages to the screen
> by typing Alt-SysRq-8, what do you see when the device locks up?
I am not able to use the sysRq keys at all to see where it is getting
blocked.  I also have a debugger, but I have no luck in
stopping the processor to see where the program counter is.