Re: reading errors on JMicron JM20337 USB-SATA

Hello,

I was advised to move this thread [ http://marc.info/?t=124916632000003&r=1&w=2 ]
to the linux-scsi mailing list. In my opinion the original problem
descriptions can be considered as a follow-up to a year old thread on
"JMicron JM20337 USB-SATA data corruption bugfix" [ http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=121653150327283&w=2 ].
The JMicron bridge is connected to a SATA disk with genuine errors (bad
sectors, just in case: I am not going to use it but to recover some data
from it). Unfortunately when a bad block is read no error is returned,
instead a caller is blocked indefinitely (at least for two hours or until
the USB cable is removed). The system log is filled with repetitive

sd 3:0:0:0: [sdf] Sense Key : 0x0 [current]
sd 3:0:0:0: [sdf] ASC=0x0 ASCQ=0x0

Alan Stern has suggested that this should be fixed as following:

AS> Tell them that scsi_end_request() mustn't call scsi_requeue_command()
AS> if bytes == 0.

Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks
-L

P.S. Please let me know if the CC: list is too long.