Re: non-standard baud rates with Prolific 2303 USB-serial

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:57:09AM -0500, Michael G. Katzmann wrote:
> On 2/23/21 10:43 AM, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:58:47AM -0500, Michael G. Katzmann wrote:
> >> Is it that we are presuming that what Prolific is telling us is true
> >> and only Joe and I are actually measuring the data rate?  (i.e. why
> >> does the Prolific Windows driver set the values as Joe found ???)
> > I'm starting to think they've added some alternate baud rate encoding in
> > order to make life harder for the people pushing (or unknowingly buying)
> > counterfeit devices.
> >
> > As you say, why else would the Windows driver support this encoding?
>
> I find that  'Halon;'s razor' is helpful in these situations...  I
> can't think that messing with people who use old teleprinters would be
> useful in protecting one's products 8-)

Heh, guess you're right.

> If Joe has some wireshark traces we can see if there are any vendor
> specific USB packets. If not I can try it (I'd be starting from
> scratch as I've only use wireshark on Linux).
>
> I presume you can't see any differentiators in the normal USB
> identifiers that we can use.

I only have an HXD (and a GC) here.

The HXD has bcdUSB as 1.10 unlike your TA with 2.00, but not sure that
helps.

> If someone has a device that works under the existing driver, it would
> be helpful to see if the modified scheme also works on those devices?

I tried with both of mine when Joe reported this and neither works with
the alternate scheme (and the GC turned out not to even support divisor
encoding).

Johan