Re: Autosuspend for mass storage?

Alan Stern wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

The SCSI layer is written to export such stuff to transport handlers.
And there is no USB transport class.  We really should write one.  But
how would it know whether there is any state to lose?
Very well. The important point is that we realise that sd alone
is insufficient. But I am not sure that for two drivers an explicit transport
layer is worth the effort.

_Something_ has to be responsible for detecting when an autosuspend is possible, and usb-storage doesn't have enough information to do it.

are you sure?

at least for an order 0:
if NOTHING is using the device (nobody has it open, eg nothing mounted etc)
we could autosuspend.

yes I know it doesn't cover the case of sd when there is something mounted,
but still, nothing having it mounted is a very important usecase for many
people (cardreaders etc etc)