Re: ehci: qh->xacterrs not initialized (Was: Kernel lockup when unplugging device from hub)

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> > Another possibility is to tell the kernel to unconfigure the "inner"
> > hub.  To do this you have to know its device path.  For example, in one
> > of the logs you posted the "outer" hub was 1-1 and the "inner" hub was
> > 1-1.1.  Then the command to use would be:
> >
> > 	echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.1/bConfigurationValue
> >
> > That should stop the errors, because it would prevent any more messages
> > from being sent to the "inner" hub or any device plugged into it.
>
> I was looking for something like this, but I couldn't find a file "disable" or
> something similarly obvious :-). Couldn't have guessed this one.

There are other ways to accomplish more or less the same thing.  For
example:

	echo -n 1-1.1:1.0 >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/hub/unbind

or

	echo -n 1-1.1 >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind

> > > Thanks for the fixes, I hope to seem them in mainline soon :-) Ironically
> > > though, I think I upgraded to the latest RC kernel because of the XactErrs
> > > occuring when plugging in my Wacom tablet, which we didn't solve yet :-p
> >
> > What happens if you plug the tablet into one of the "outer" hub's
> > ports?  Or into a different hub, or directly into the computer?
>
> Everything works as expected.
>
> I've also tried booting windows for a bit, and there things are even worse. It
> won't properly install the tablet, let alone let me use it. I guess this means
> there is indeed something broken in the hardware (Most likely the connection
> between the hubs, then).
>
> I'll just send the hub back and hope that I get a new one which does work :-)

Okay.  Thanks for all the work.  May I add your "Tested-by:" line to
the two patches?

Alan Stern