Re: ehci: qh->xacterrs not initialized (Was: Kernel lockup when unplugging device from hub)

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> > The resulting patch below should fix the problem.  It is independent of
> > the other patch, although it touches some adjacent lines.
> Yup, it works. Now the XactErrs have proper retry counts, starting at 1.

Okay, good.  I'll submit both patches.

> The errors are still there, though. However, it seems that the errors appear
> when the hub is plugged in, and more (slightly different) errors appear when a
> device is plugged into the "inner" hub.

Some of those errors are in messages being sent to the "inner" hub and
some of them are in messages being sent to devices plugged into the
"inner" hub.

>  I guess this makes it likely that
> there is something faulty in the connection between the two hubs. I'll have a
> go with an older kernel version and another OS to see what happens there.

Another possibility is to tell the kernel to unconfigure the "inner"
hub.  To do this you have to know its device path.  For example, in one
of the logs you posted the "outer" hub was 1-1 and the "inner" hub was
1-1.1.  Then the command to use would be:

	echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.1/bConfigurationValue

That should stop the errors, because it would prevent any more messages
from being sent to the "inner" hub or any device plugged into it.

> Thanks for the fixes, I hope to seem them in mainline soon :-) Ironically
> though, I think I upgraded to the latest RC kernel because of the XactErrs
> occuring when plugging in my Wacom tablet, which we didn't solve yet :-p

What happens if you plug the tablet into one of the "outer" hub's
ports?  Or into a different hub, or directly into the computer?

Alan Stern